InMotion Web hosting providers have evolved so much over the years that you can rely on their support to get your website or blog up and running easily with optimum performance statistics.
If you have done a bit of research on various hosting service providers, you must have come across the name, ‘InMotion.’ They are a very popular web hosting provider that has won accolades and rewards on several hosting review sites.
Your hosting needs in terms of reliability, speed, security, and support, are well-served by InMotion hosting.
So in this article, we will take a look at the features, advantages, disadvantages and various hosting plans offered by InMotion. This will help you to understand if InMotion is right for your website.
Trusting a company that has been around for some time is a lot easier. InMotion was founded way back in 2001 and has been reviewed by technology news portals and review websites rather regularly.
The initial years were spent in establishing its services, but after that, InMotion started gaining recognition from reviewers all over the world. The company currently has two offices, one located on the west coast (Los Angeles, CA), and the other on the east coast (Virginia Beach, VA) in the U.S.
InMotion has the highest possible, A+ service rating from the BBB (Better Business Bureau), which is a consumer protection agency that reviews businesses (in the U.S. and Canada) with regards to their performance and integrity. This clearly proves the tremendous trust they enjoy from their customers for extremely reliable delivery of hosting services.
InMotion Hosting Features
Now that you know the company background, the next most important thing to check is the various features on offer. Deciding a web hosting service based on price alone is one of the worst things you can do. So, before forming an opinion about InMotion hosting services, let’s take a look at the features on offer.
Performance – Speed and Uptime
The uptime offered is one of the first features you should consider. You don’t want to end up with a hosting service whose servers keep going down every few months. Though no company can deliver 0% downtime, web hosting services should ideally provide 99.9% uptime because every minute your website is down can impact your website traffic significantly.
InMotion offers 99.9% uptime and can actually deliver because of their high-performance, PCI compliant servers. Seeing the number of happy customers they have over the years is also a testament to their claims of 99.9% uptime. We tried to test this claim with a trial-hosting plan from InMotion and the results were up to the mark.
Another important consideration is how fast the servers are. The amount of time a site takes to load often has a huge impact on site visitors and the amount of time they spend on your website.
Ideally, you’d want your site to load quickly. Another benefit of faster page load speeds is better ranking in search engines like Google.
For this purpose, InMotion uses SSD (Solid State Drives) on their servers instead of the old spinning, mechanical hard drives for every hosting plan that they offer. These SSD servers improve performance considerably when compared to the traditional servers. This is ideal for larger websites with heavy traffic and even eCommerce based sites.
You may argue that you have a small website and don’t need SSD servers right now. However, if you think about the long-term, your website will eventually grow and you will need better performing servers eventually to avoid compromising on performance quality and page speed.
If you do a bit of research, many good hosting companies are making a move to SSD servers. The best part about InMotion is that it relies on SSD servers for all their hosting plans by default.
A unique feature offered by InMotion (and the only hosting company to do so) is the ‘Max Speed Zones’ facility through its multiple data centres.
Website access speed can be improved considerably if the visitor is at a location closer to the data centre hosting your site. To enable such improved speed and performance for your website, InMotion uses the western region data centre for customers from Asia, Australia, the South Pacific, and North America, and the eastern region data centre for customers from South America, Europe, and Africa.
InMotion offers faster connections through peering that leads to direct data connections (between servers). To deliver this service, InMotion has collaborated with some of the largest ISPs and peer exchanges in the world.
Security and Backup
Security is another major concern for websites or blogs. With InMotion hosting services, you get better security. They have around four Tier 1 ISP providers to ensure smooth data flow with multiple backups in case of an emergency (such as a natural disaster).
Their data centres are highly secured with scanners, armed guards and are kept in locked vaults. Such kind of high-end security clearly implies that your websites are safe and secure within InMotion servers.
In order to ensure safe browsing, you can opt to buy SSL certificates ($99.99 per year with an installation fee of $25), which also includes a dedicated IP address. For the security of email accounts, InMotion also offers McAfee spam & virus protection (starting at $1.39 per month).
If you don’t want to indulge in the technicalities, you should always look for a hosting provider that has terrific customer support. Even if you are technically sound, you will want someone to assist you quickly when you are facing some server-side issues in real-time when every minute matters.
One of the key factors in favour of InMotion is the various ways by which customers can reach out to their support team or technical experts.
You can raise a support ticket or contact them via email. Alternatively, you can call the InMotion support team directly using their 24/7 toll-free telephone number. You can also contact the support staff through their ‘Live Chat.’ In most cases, the InMotion live chat and telephone support response are the quickest and get the job done faster.
They don’t outsource their customer support to businesses at offshore locations. The InMotion support staff goes through a rigorous internal training program and is based entirely in the U.S.
InMotion offers a slightly customised version of the industry standard cPanel. You can install Softaculous on the cPanel to speed up the setup process for WordPress, Joomla, Drupal, PrestaShop, phpBB, AbanteCart, Magento, MyBB or other PHP scripts.
For security, the control panel enables password management, IP management, and Shell access by default. It also makes it very easy to manage hosted email accounts. The customised cPanel offers greater control over your websites.
Various Plans and Pricing
All plans offered by InMotion include free SSD hosting (with great latency and throughput) and free data backups. The different hosting categories and plans are discussed below:
Shared Business Hosting
These shared hosting plans are suitable for hosting static websites, database driven CMS, along with custom applications. All plans include a free domain name and support coding in various languages such as PHP, MySQL, Ruby, PostgreSQL, Perl, & Python. The three different shared business hosting plans offered by InMotion are:
- Launch Hosting Plan – at $5.59 per month (annual subscription), with two separate websites, up to six domains with email addresses, and two MySQL databases.
- Power Hosting Plan – at $6.99 per month (annual subscription) with six separate websites, up to 26 domains with email and 50 MySQL databases.
- Pro Hosting Plan – at $10.49 per month (annual subscription) with unlimited websites, unlimited domains with email and unlimited MySQL databases.
These Virtual Private Server plans are suitable for growing businesses that require powerful and flexible hosting options. The three VPS hosting plans provided by InMotion are:
- VPS-1000S – at $29.99 per month (annual subscription) or $39.99 per month (monthly subscription) with 60GB RAID6 SSD, 4GB RAM and 2TB data transfer.
- VPS-2000S – at $49.99 per month (annual subscription) or $69.99 per month (monthly subscription) with 130GB RAID6 SSD, 6GB RAM and 3TB data transfer.
- VPS-3000S – at $74.99 per month (annual subscription) or $89.99 per month (monthly subscription) with 200GB RAID6 SSD, 8GB RAM and 4TB data transfer.
These plans offer single processor and dual processor dedicated, Linux servers with LAMP stack. InMotion provides a dedicated managed server hosting team for server monitoring and customised configurations. They all come with 30-day money back guarantees. The different InMotion hosting plans are:
- Essential – at $119.99 per month (annual subscription) or $149.99 per month (monthly subscription) with Dual Core 2.4GHz – 3.3GHz 2C/2T (may slightly vary) Intel Pentium Processor, 4GB RAM, 500GB 7.2K SATA and 6TB data transfer.
- Advanced – at $159.99 per month (annual subscription) or $199.99 per month (monthly subscription) with Intel Xeon E3-1220 v2 3.10 GHz 4C/4T, 8GB RAM, 1TB 7.2K SATA and 10TB data transfer.
- Elite – at $229.99 per month (annual subscription) or $269.99 per month (monthly subscription) with Intel Xeon E3-1230 v2 3.30 GHz 4C/8T, 16GB RAM, RAID-1 2x1TB 7.2K SATA and 10TB data transfer.
- Commercial Class 500 – at $419.99 per month (annual subscription) or $479.99 per month (monthly subscription) with Intel Xeon E5-2430 v2 2.50 GHz 6C/12T, 16GB RAM, RAID-1 2x1TB 7.2K SATA and 15TB data transfer.
- Commercial Class 1000 – at $489.99 per month (annual subscription) or $569.99 per month (monthly subscription) with Intel Xeon E5-2430 v2 2.50 GHz 6C/12T, 32GB RAM, RAID-1 2x600GB 15K SAS and 15TB data transfer.
- Commercial Class 2000 – at $589.99 per month (annual subscription) or $669.99 per month (monthly subscription) with Intel Xeon E5-2430 v2 2.50 GHz 12C/24T, 64GB RAM, RAID-5 3x600GB 15K SAS and 15TB data transfer.
The last three plans also classify as enterprise hosting service plans.
You can kick-start your own, white labelled hosting company with InMotion’s Reseller Hosting Program that includes a free dedicated IP, free cPanel, and free eNom domain reseller account. The three plans are:
- R-1000S – starting at $13.99 per month with 80GB disk space and 800GB bandwidth per month.
- R-2000S – starting at $19.99 per month with 120GB disk space and 1200GB bandwidth per month.
- R-3000S – starting at $27.49 per month with 160GB disk space and 1600GB bandwidth per month.
- Its managed WordPress hosting services offer no limitations on several features with unlimited websites, disk space, page views, as well as data transfers per month.
- A key benefit is the unusually long, 90-day money back guarantee offered for most InMotion hosting plans (except for the dedicated server plans).
- It offers unlimited emails at all levels.
- The additional provision of Launch Assist for VPS or dedicated server plans makes it relatively easy for you to get things going without having much knowledge about the servers.
- Their ‘Go Green’ initiative with dedicated efforts to decrease the carbon footprint of their data centres along with the implementation of green cooling methods.
The only drawback seems to be the high pricing of their VPS hosting plans (especially the renewal rates after the first year) as compared to any other service providers (like BlueHost) that offer similar services.
The Final Verdict
Overall, InMotion ticks most boxes in our ideal web hosting service checklist.
They have a large variety of hosting plans at various price points and features, making it easier for you to find the plan that fits your needs best. The free eCommerce tools, free SSD storage, excellent support staff, and reliability work significantly in their favour.
So what hosting provider are you using currently? What made you consider switching to another hosting service? Let us know in the comments below, and thanks for reading!